Search This Blog

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Israeli couscous

At the café where I eat lunch, the salad buffet often includes an offering using something called 'Israeli couscous', farinaceous balls with a diameter of around 3 or 4 millimetres. It has a mildly nutty flavour and a wonderful springy texture, and it goes very well with roast vegetables. The people who work in the café have not been very helpful in telling me about how it is made or where I might get it, but I am determined to track it down!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sweet cicelywould go with rhubarb

Compulsive Cook said...

I did finally track down something that I am fairly sure is Israeli couscous, although it's not entirely certain, because I found it in a Middle Eastern store just off London's Edgeware road, and the label is entirely in Arabic. I didn't like to ask any of the shop assistants (speaking loudly and in my most Irish accent) if this was really Israeli couscous!
Anyway, it has proved difficult to cook it without it turning to starchy, stodgy glue. I will try again with less couscous and more liquid, but I don't hold out high hopes.

Anonymous said...

As I happened to be stocking up in both Panzer's on Circus Road, and Selfridge's (home of the offensively-conceived and vile-sounding "most expensive sandwich in the world") I can tell you that - in both places - you can find Osem Israeli "Couscous". It's a type of baked pasta, hence the inverted commas. I've bought a packet, and will give it to you when I see you.

You can email Osem on info@osem.co.uk