Search This Blog

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Rhubarb jellies

The rhubarb and muscat jellies taste absolutely delicious, but unfortunately they just barely qualify as 'jellies' because they are so liquid. Instead of little round quivering lumps, they turn out of the moulds as dispiriting puddles, slopping across the whole width of the saucer I have put them on.

I followed Nigella Lawson's recipe faithfully, and am furious that it was so unreliable, particularly because she is adamant that using sheet gelatine makes it foolproof. She is very rude about powdered gelatine, which I have frequently used with great success.

The only point at which I deviated from the recipe was when the oven-baked rhubarb yielded much less juice than she predicted, so I made up the difference with extra muscat wine. A couple of people have suggested that this may have affected the setting power of the gelatine, which would make sense.

So my question is: do I just assume that I can correct for this and go ahead and make jellies for the party? If it doesn't work again, will I be able to come up with an emergency substitute?

And a minor question: can anyone think of something delicious to do with seven little rhubarb and muscat non-jellies? I also have the rhubarb pulp, so maybe it should all go together with a farinaceous topping and be called crumble.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What about making the extras into a pie? Have you tried substituting the powdered gelatine that seems to work better for you?