Search This Blog

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentine cake



It's a little different from the Bakerella version. For a start, it's not as perfect or pretty. I'm not a perfectionist, which means that what I do is rarely to a very high standard. On the other hand, I do a lot of things, even if sometimes they are a bit slapdash.
Another excuse for its less than perfect appearance is that I used marzipan instead of fondant to make the cardboard box. I've never worked with fondant, so it may well be easier to manage, but the marzipan was very soft after kneading in the food colouring. While on the topic of food colouring, neither the cake nor the marzipan came out as red as suggested. I think Green & Black's cocoa may be darker than standard American cocoa, so it overrode the redness. The food colouring itself seems to come out pink rather than red - the whole concoction used a bottle and a half of food colouring!

2 comments:

Jo said...

Hmm, that's a lot. Did it come out in the taste, though?

I'm investigating paste colour, it doesn't taste like the liquid and it's way stronger, you just need a few dots.

The cake looks GREAT though!

Compulsive Cook said...

There was no flavour effect at all, so far as I (non-marzipan eater) know. And believe me, The Man would have complained if there were anything to complain about.
If paste colour had been available in my local supermarket, I would have used it.