Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The most important meal of the day?


I have always had a difficult relationship with breakfast, although now that I no longer have to go to school or a job I hate, it has become easier.
Nevertheless, it is hard to settle on a working-day breakfast that makes me happy (weekend breakfasts are another thing altogether and a joy to consider).
At the moment the steady compromise is muesli with milk and a mug of black coffee.
The milk is a recent innovation after years of yoghurt, which is healthier but just a little harder to organise, since my breakfast companion insists on milk.
He also likes his muesli very sweet. This is a difficulty because for years I have been in the habit of buying unsugared muesli and then adding extra oats and nuts to dilute the sweetness of the dried fruit.
So our compromise is that we buy muesli with lots of fruit, he adds tons of sugar and I add a handful of oats.
And every morning I am reminded of my grandmother, who eats muesli for breakfast because she knows it is good for her, but makes no attempt to pretend she likes it. "Disgusting stuff," she grumbles. When I am 97, I too shall give up all attempts to convince myself that I am enjoying my muesli.

1 comment:

Jo said...

I could eat meusli three times a day. Except I hate all the fruit. I quite like the dates and the odd raisin, but the rest of it, feh. Gimme more nuts.

I like Flahavan's now, but I have to takes about a 1/4 cup of fruit, including horrible little bits of unchewable freeze dried orange stuff that's meant to be apricot and fruit out of every bowl before I can eat it. OTher than that t's lovely - not too sweet, not too plain.